The ESS is our favourite MDT chassis here at The Gun Rack. Kassie runs a short action burnt bronze ESS on her Howa 1500 6.5 Creedmoor, and Geoff swaps a black long action version across various magnum and long action builds. Usually these chassis are purchased as individual parts, however we’ve put together a full package and knocked some off the price (just choose the mag and grip you need). The MDT factory Cerakote options usually add a 4 – 6 week lead time on the already lengthy waits for oversees products to land in New Zealand, so this is an opportunity not to be missed!
The ESS provides ultimate ergonomics and features!
The MDT ESS chassis is designed with its own buttstock for perfect ergonomics, and allows for customization with a wide variety of accessories.
This ESS Chassis System includes chassis, folding buttstock, and 18″ no rail forend.
The ESS retains our proven V-block bedding system to form a solid and reliable base for the rifle action. The magazine well has been refined for easy insertion of the magazine, while reducing rattle and movement. The tab style magazine release has been replaced with a semi-flush ambidextrous paddle that can easily be activated by a weak or strong hand. The recoil lug mortise has been designed to accommodate most aftermarket recoil lugs, and the trigger area will accommodate most aftermarket triggers.
A serrated barricade stop has been added to the front of the magazine well, and a polymer forend grip at the balance point adds comfort. The wide fore-grip area combined with the octagonal profiled forend tube offers flexible options when shooting over bags or improvised rests.
Thumb shelves have been added to both sides of the chassis for shooters who prefer an open grip.
The most significant change is the incorporation of the ESS chassis specific buttstock interface, rather than the traditional AR pattern interface. This allows us to place the pistol grip in optimum relation to the trigger, while still allowing the shooter to choose from the wide variety of AR pattern pistol grips which suit their preference.
The MDT ESS chassis comes with its own butt-stock, similar to our Skeleton Rifle Stock. It is fully adjustable including lateral adjustment for the butt-pad and the cheek rest. Cheek rest height and butt-pad length-of-pull are adjustable by thumb wheels.
- Weight: Chassis system including forend and buttstock is between 4.4 to 4.8lbs (depending on action)
- Length of Pull: 13.4″ – 14.4″ (Based on Remington 700)
- Ambidextrous, easy reach magazine latch – can be operated with trigger finger or left hand
- The extra large magazine well for easy mag insertion/removal
- Barricade stop in front of the magazine to prevent putting pressure on the magazine
- Angled front profile with hand grip for minute vertical adjustments and comfort/protection from the elements
- Thumb rests on both sides of the chassis
- Wide front profile for extra comfort/stability when resting on flat surfaces
- Stock height at comb and heel – 0.5” below bore centerline. 1.0” of riser adjustability
- Allows for barrel contours up to 1.300” straight taper. (Note that at larger barrel diameters there is less space in the forend to accommodate internal attachments such as QD cups, M-lok, and sling swivels)
- Accepts AICS pattern magazines for both short and long action. (3.715” long action)
- CNC machined from Aircraft grade Aluminum and finished with H-series Cerakote. Cheek-piece, fore-grip, and butt-pad constructed of composites
- Howa 1500 / Weatherby Vanguard – Long Calibers – No V-block due to the flat bottom action
WHAT YOU GET, AND WHAT YOU’LL NEED
This ESS Chassis System comes complete with a chassis, folding buttstock, and 18″ forend. All hardware is included. You will need Allen keys to assemble and install on your rifle.
In addition to the ESS Chassis System, you will need: